Saturday 12 May 2007

Liberation Station

I am not terribly impressed with the choice of name for the transport hub inside the old abattoir. I cannot see what the word "liberation" relates to - animals being liberated from their lives perhaps? Or flesh being liberated from bone? It cannot relate to the liberation of the island from German occupation at the end of WW2, as I have never heard that the abattoir had any part to play in that.

It seemed to me to be pretty obvious that a name should be chosen that was shorter than "bus station", a name strong enough to stand even though the place will get referred to the bus station. I thought that the obvious name "The Hub" would be a strong contender, as it has a modern edge (it fits in well with "The Club and "The Bar") and being short and snappy would be used in preference to bus station - for texting at least. But no.

The rhythm of the name is not particularly pleasing either - why chose two words both ending in "ation"? Not that I think I am going to be distressed by hearing "Liberation Station" much, because I really don't think many people will refer to the place by it's official name. It will be bus station, Lib Station, bus depot, under the mall, or "where the bus finishes up".

1 comment:

A Holiday In The Sun said...

Aside from the fact it's such an incredibly lame selection of name, I don't even see why it needed changing. Technically speaking the weighbridge was never at the site of the old 'Weighbridge' bus station.

Not that I like the name, but they may aswell have named it 'Liberation Square' station, at least that would have given an immediate hint as to the neighbouring location. 'Liberation Station' implies that the station is an area known as "Liberation".

Still, with Guy De Faye in charge of selecting a name, could we really have expected anything straight-forward, or perish the thought, more inspired?