Friday 2 February 2007

Standing on buses

Does it matter that some kids have to stand on the buses? After all, as Deputy de Faye says, we all did it when we were young - he makes the point that he came to no harm.

It matters if the aim is to encourage more children on the buses.

I would hazard a guess that some parents do not have much choice about sending their kids to school on the bus because they work and cannot take the children to school themselves. But that is not true of everyone. I collect my kids from school, so if encouraging more kids on the buses is an aim - and how can it not be when the transport policy is to reduce emissions and congestion - then I represent the group of people to be converted to the idea of putting my kids on the bus.

But I have a problem with buses. My kids travel to school at the moment in a car that is fitted with seat belts. By law my kids must be seated and strapped in whilst I am driving them, and I drive particularly carefully when carrying my kids in the car. In a bus there are no seat belts, and they may not have a seat - and I have vivid memories of the behaviour of bus drivers that makes me hesitant about putting the safety of my children into the hands of a bus driver. I recall one driver slamming on the brakes to teach a child a lesson when she kept standing up and dancing in the aisle when the bus was in motion. She flew down the bus, and down the steps. After a few seconds, she dragged herself panting back up the steps, and crawled to her seat, and he continued driving. Another shocking experience on a bus when I was older has made me additionally wary of bus drivers.

For me to put my kids on the buses, I have to see that they would be safer than I and my contemporaries were. And they wouldn't be. So I will continue to drive them.

No comments: