Wednesday 20 December 2006

Beautiful bacon

I rarely eat bacon. My partner enjoys it, on occasion. I think we will both be eating it more regularly now, as tonight we tried the bacon I bought from Darren Quenault's farm shop. It seems wrong to call it the same name as the flimsy, watery tasteless stuff I normally buy in supermarkets even though I make an effort to buy flavourful bacon (buying Duchy Originals where I can, or something from the Waitrose "Taste the Difference" range).

The Quenaults' bacon doesn't look that brilliant on the fridge shelf - the colour is good but the bacon is vacuum packed, so the slices are shapelessly mushed together. The rashers are quite streaky as well, something we normally avoid, but that bacon tasted indescribably good. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I find myself longing for an excuse to try the bacon in a bacon sandwich - the flavour is intense enough to cope with the bread. The bacon had a good shelf life, but it definitely wont need it in our house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had their bacon in a bacon and egg roll today. You can definately taste the fuller flavour, but I'm looking forward to trying it again without the distraction of the bread and the egg.

I'm also looking forward to the sausages I bought. And the cabbage loaf.

It's probably a good thing I didn't see the fudge until after I'd paid for everything...

Local Resident said...

We tried the parsnip and butternut squash soup made by the people who run the cafe in the Hampton Country Life Museum. Delicious.

I will try the sausages now the bacon has proved so lovely, but I am very difficult to please when it comes to sausages - I can't stand gristle. We used to buy the Duchy Original sausages when Safeway sold them pre Checkers take over, but I can't find anywhere in the Island that sells them now (so much for Tom Scott saying Safeway only sold cheap and nasty stuff before his chain took it over).

Cabbage loaf is delicious, which is why we don't buy it. It doesn't keep well, and it's just too easy to wolf down slice after slice.

Luckily, I hate fudge.

Anonymous said...

The sausages... you will not be disappointed.

I will definately be going back for more.